Saturday, November 9, 2013

Review & Swatch: Maybelline Color Elixirs


I don't even know where to begin with this post, I absolutely love these new glosses from Maybelline. However I feel like these glosses will be a love or hate product.



The Claims


 Maybelline says that these glosses will have "the color of a lipstick, the cushiony care of a balm and the glass shine of a gloss."

The Price


I got mine for around 7~8 dollars at my local drugstore, which isn't too bad for a drugstore lip gloss. Of course prices may vary depending where you are and what store you purchase it from.

Packaging


The packaging looks like a lipstick inside a lip gloss tube, which is the reason they caught my eye in the store. The products looks darker in the tube than it does on the lips.

070 Intoxicating Spice
025 Mystic Mauve 



Applicator


The applicator is soft and slanted. The shape allows you to apply the product precisely and evenly. The tip of the applicator fits perfectly in the arch of the lip. The gloss glides on like nobody's business. It feels so smooth, like butter.




Two layers on the left and one layer on the right. Top: 025 Mystic Mauve. Bottom: 070 Intoxicating Spice

070 Intoxicating Spice


I feel like this can be a great everyday shade, or something you could wear to an event. It is a stunning neutral brick red.

One layer
Two layers

025 Mystic Mauve


This shade is a great everyday shade. I feel like this is a true mauve, not too purple and not too pink.

One layer
Two layers

Pigmentation


You can argue that they have the pigmentation of a lipstick since some lipsticks don't give of extreme color, but usually when a gloss claims to have the pigmentation of lipstick you expect intense pigmentation like the Rimmel Apocalips, for example. These glosses do not have that intense pigmentation, but they do have pretty good pigmentation and I wouldn't consider them sheer. You can't see my natural lip color with one layer of Intoxicating Spice and two layers of Mystic Mauve.

Texture


The texture of these glosses can be a deal breaker. If you don't like noticeable lip glosses, I would stay away. The glosses aren't extremely thick, but you can definitely feel them on your lips. I don't find them noticeably sticky either. They remind me of the Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxies (without the tingle) or the Revlon Super Lustrous Glosses (the original ones in the square tubes). Personally I love the texture because they feel very plush and make my lips look like there are no crevices. After the glosses wear off my lips feel nice and hydrated.

Wear Time


I wouldn't call them extremely long wearing, but I wouldn't say they wear off quickly either. I only need to reapply after I eat, talking a lot doesn't make the color wear away. Intoxicating Spice leaves a moisturizing stain after it wears off, while Mystic Mauve doesn't leave anything noticeable, perhaps since it is close to my natural lip color. 

Scent


The scent of these glosses may also be a deal breaker. The glosses have a noticeable scent that I can't put my finger on. They smell like a perfume I've smelt before, slightly sweet but fruity with a hint of artificial plastic. Personally the scent doesn't bother me, I only notice the scent when I TRY to smell it. While I'm wearing it and during application, I don't smell it at all. The smell makes me reminiscent of something so I don't the smell at all. 

Final conclusion:


Personally, I love these glosses because of their texture and pigmentation. If you don't like feeling like there is something on your lips I wouldn't recommend trying them. But if you don't mind feeling like something is on your lips I strongly, strongly, strongly recommend trying them. The only thing that defines if you love it or hate it besides the texture is the scent.

What do you think of these glosses?

Until next time,
Rachiee



No comments:

Post a Comment